Check out 7 things you didn’t know about Cambodia. Read on!
1) Cambodia has tons of untouched tropical islands and beaches waiting to be discovered.
Can you imagine yourself on this chill beach?
2) Between 1975-79, Cambodia suffered a civil war and genocide which decimated a quarter of their population (approx. 2 million people).
For more information regarding this tragic time period, read about the Khmer Rouge regime.
A sombre painting by a survivor of the Khmer Rouge regime.
3) Nearly 50% of the population is younger than 25!
Students hanging out after school.
4) They have an amazing DIY barbecue culture (similar to Korean BBQ)
Seafood, beef, chicken…all barbecued the way you like.
Beer and raw egg yolk? Why not?!
5) It houses the world’s LARGEST religious monument in the world, Angkor Wat.
The main temple of Angkor Wat.
6) Between the years 800-1400, the Khmer Empire (Khmer=Cambodian people) controlled most of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and southern Vietnam.
7) Cambodia’s flag is the only one to feature a building.
The Cambodian flag with an ancient temple